The Baffler magazine is hiring a marketing and social media manager to promote Baffler stories and contributors and coordinate marketing campaigns to drive subscriptions and donations. This role is a blend of creative and analytical responsibilities: you will both manage the public voice of the Baffler in non-editorial communication, and lead the strategic planning needed to make those communications most effective. Our publication produces bi-monthly print issues, daily online stories, regular live events, and cheeky merchandise sundries—and we want our critically-engaged readers to hear about all of it!
The ideal candidate will be a strong writer and experienced marketer who is well-acquainted with The Baffler and left-wing media. They are deeply familiar with the digital landscape and interested in the trends that will influence online readers in the future.
We’re a small shop and we each wear many hats. If you thrive within flexible organizations and fluid roles, this is a good place for you. Please direct inquiries to [email protected].
- Own and manage Baffler social media accounts—right now, that’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Collaborate with editors and contributors to draw out the most relevant and enticing story details, in front of the right audiences.
- Manage social advertising campaigns for both editorial content and marketing objectives.
- Produce suite of Baffler newsletters, subscriber updates and marketing pitches.
- Develop and implement integrated marketing campaigns to convert casual Baffler readers into dedicated subscribers and supporters.
- Cultivate relationships with online communities and individual media contacts relevant to Baffler productions.
- Review stories inside the Baffler CMS and educate editors on general best practices for web publishing.
- Track the success of the Baffler’s online presence, and use this information to produce regular reports and drive recommendations for future campaigns.
- Three to four years managing social and marketing accounts on behalf of an online media organization.
- Ferocious attention to detail and the ability to strictly adhere to house style.
- Experience in CMS platforms similar to WordPress and Mailchimp.
- Comfortable working with social and web analytics platforms such as Google Analytics, Parse.ly, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Proficiency in web markup and style, as well as general image and video editing.