The Baffler seeks an experienced senior editor to join its New York-based editorial team. The senior editor works closely with the editor in chief and web editor in planning and editing The Baffler’s print and web coverage. With the editor in chief, they commission and edit essays for the print issue. With the web editor, they lead the charge in commissioning and editing new essays for the website. The ideal candidate will be a strong line editor with experience assigning for both print and web publications with a demonstrated ability to meet challenging deadlines and solicit work from a diverse group of contributors. In addition to the job duties listed below, opportunities will be available for the senior editor to write for the magazine and website if they choose.
The Baffler Foundation encourages applicants of all genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, ages, disability statuses, and veteran statuses.
- With the other editors, plan themes and ideas for future print issues.
- Conceive, assign, and edit 3-5 print essays per issue, along with some work on essays which have been assigned and top-edited by the editor in chief.
- Copyedit up to 3 pieces per issue, and work with other editors on final proofreading.
- Conceive, assign, and edit 2-3 web stories per week, coordinating with the web editor to ensure broad coverage of Baffler beats including politics, arts & culture, tech criticism, economic coverage, and books pieces.
- Fact-check, copyedit, and publish your web pieces when outside production assistance is not available.
- Seek out excerpts from promising new books that we may want to serialize online.
- With other editors, monitor the analytics of web writing and help to communicate with the business staff on editorial direction.
- Trade off proofreading duty for other editors’ web stories.
- Coordinate with managing editor to ensure payment of web and print writers you commission.
- Coordinate with web editor and managing editor to fit commissioned pieces into the web schedule.
- Coordinate with web editor and managing editor to ensure fact-checking and proofreading of all of your commissioned web pieces.
- 5+ years experience of editorial experience, with preference given to those with experience working for print magazines or editing longform journalism and criticism.
- A demonstrated ability to work with new and established freelance writers.
- A desire to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative editorial team.
- Extensive line/copyediting experience a plus.
- Web and/or print production experience a plus.
Email résumés and cover letters to [email protected].
The Baffler Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.