The Baffler is pleased to announce our 2023–2024 editorial fellowship. The year-long position provides hands-on experience in both print and web production, as well as mentorship and education in all aspects of editing and magazine publishing. The fellowship pays $45,000 over the course of twelve months and comes with full benefits.
- Fact-checks pieces for web and print.
- Reads and provides feedback on drafts for web and print.
- Proofreads pages for print.
- Participates in editorial meetings.
- Reads and replies to unsolicited submissions.
- Requests review copies and catalogs from book publishers.
- Completes special projects for thebaffler.com, such as generating alt text, tagging, and data entry.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Engaged and opinionated about politics and culture.
- An enthusiastic reader of The Baffler and familiar with the magazine’s style and concerns.
- Experience in journalism and/or publishing is a plus.
This is a full-time position based in New York City, with the option to work from home as needed. The Baffler’s benefits include full health and dental insurance coverage with zero in-network deductible, complete employee premium coverage, and partial partner premium coverage paid for by The Baffler; a health reimbursement account of $1,100; fifteen days of paid time off; unlimited sick days; and 401k with a 3% employer contribution and up to an additional 2% employer match. This position also qualifies for overtime pay. The Baffler offers full-year “summer Fridays”; our typical work week ends at 1 p.m. on Friday.
To apply, please submit your résumé and a cover letter to [email protected] by April 14, 2023.
The Baffler Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.