Editor in Chief
The editor in chief of The Baffler will conceive of and execute the editorial program for all print and digital content at the magazine, including six yearly print issues and daily web postings. The Baffler has maintained a unique editorial voice for thirty-four years while expanding its range of writers and topical coverage; the editor in chief will continue this vital program of expansion. As a result, the editor must have substantial editorial and management experience and share the politics of the magazine.
- Serve as an officer of The Baffler Foundation;
- Draft and circulate reports to the publisher to enumerate management responsibilities and consult with the Baffler Foundation’s board for their editorial decisions;
- Prepare reports on editorial operations for quarterly board meetings;
- In conjunction with the managing editor, hire all editorial staff, conduct annual performance reviews for editorial staff;
- Chair two weekly editorial staff meetings;
- Collaborate with HR on a regular basis.
- Lead the editorial staff in conceiving of and setting themes for each print issue, and oversee commissioning by all editors in a fast-paced environment;
- Establish editorial deadlines in keeping with print and digital production schedules;
- Write the editor’s letter for each print issue;
- Commission and edit 10–12 print pieces per year;
- With the managing editor, supervise the web editor and the magazine’s publishing schedule;
- Be the final arbiter of publishing decisions for the magazine.
Finance, Marketing & Fundraising:
- Oversee the editorial spending throughout the year;
- Partner with marketing, fundraising, and finance to execute a strategic editorial plan for the magazine;
- With marketing, use readership reports to gain insights about published projects and their audience, develop strategies for expanding the magazine’s reach, and communicate with other editors to identify and promulgate adjustments and best practices involving the editorial strategy;
- Approve any mission-driven language for potential use in applications for grants and foundation funding;
- With the managing editor, publisher, and executive director, prepare an annual budget for approval by the Board.
- Minimum of 5+ years of media experience (with at least 3 years of management experience) in print or digital media, with a focus on editing and directing content;
- Proven ability to lead a publication;
- Experience planning and strategizing multi-platform content strategies that cultivate a broad audience;
- Ability to own and execute strategy while balancing shifting priorities.
This is a full-time position based in New York City, with a salary range of $100–120,000, full benefits, and the option to work from home as needed. The Baffler’s benefits include full health and dental insurance coverage with complete employee premium coverage and partial partner premium coverage paid for by The Baffler, a health reimbursement account, paid time off, unlimited sick days, and 401k with a 3% employer contribution and up to an additional 2% employer match.
To apply, please submit your résumé and a cover letter to [email protected] by October 28, 2022.
The Baffler Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.